Monday, October 20, 2014

Lazy Mondays Realizations

I know I'm not the only one feeling the Monday blues... everyone in my twitter feed keeps ranting on how "the weekend flew by", "dragging myself out of bed", "I HATE MONDAYS!!!!!!!!"

It is quite hard to wake up on Mondays but my mindset is that if you love what you do, waking up for another work day shouldn't be that hard. (Super cliche, I know) I do find myself dragging my butt out of bed during Mondays and it made me think if I'm really doing what I want to do in life and if not, WHAT DO I WANT? - A question I have yet to answer. Or maybe it isn't about if I'm doing what I love? Maybe I'm dragging myself out of bed during Mondays because it's the start of the week a.k.a. after two days of waking up whenever I want to, I'd have to wake up early and my body needs to adjust to that?

Meanwhile, I've made a few lifestyle changes to just put me in a positive mood throughout the day.

Here's a list:

1. I've started waking up at 5:30-5:45am. It wasn't easy at first, but I have accustomed to it after a week or so. I decided to do this since I find that having more time to do trivial things like making my own breakfast, catching the AM news, slipping a bit of work-out, etc. just gives me a sense of accomplishment early on and puts me in a more organized mindset compared to when I woke up at 6:45am, barely having time to get ready and no time to cook my lunch which then makes me buy unhealthy Mini Stop Chicken (damn u, Uncle John). It was a vicious cycle that I'm glad I got out of.

2. I'm able to wake up early because I sleep early. When we got back from Europe, I had a bad case of the jet lag. I couldn't sleep til 2am for almost a week, and I would wake up pretty late, too. I had to stop myself from taking mid-day naps in order to correct that. Now, I'm clocking sleep at around 9:30-10:30pm. But even if I stay up later than that, I still make sure to wake up at 5:30am just to not disrupt my current body clock. I found that this sleeping schedule is better for my health, too! I'm not that prone to sickness and my skin looks better. Yay!

3. As I mentioned, I cook my meals for the day in the morning. There's something about cooking my own meals that I've found enjoyable. Meals in this household are not really that healthy - by that I mean they cook white rice. I've tried staying away from white rice for a few months now and try to only eat it during weekends or when going out because I DO NOT HAVE BOUNDARIES WHEN I'M EATING OUT. I'm a beast. So yes, I feel much more in control of my meals when I'm the one making it (duh) and it makes me feel very domesticated, very wifey material.

4. Avoiding coffee - which is a very tough feat. This time last year I was addicted to caffeine. I would drink coffee 3x a day - an insane amount considering I'm drinking instant coffee - basically poison mixed with a lot of sugar. I realized I was caffeine dependent when I would get terrible, terrible headaches after not getting my fix. Other than that, I noticed I've been gaining weight??? I attribute that to the sugar and the unhealthy sleeping schedule (I used to wake up at 3:30am, WTF). I WAS A MESS and I knew I had to change things up if I wanted to lose weight and just be healthy, in general. So I swore off coffee and switched to green tea. It was a difficult decision at first because plain steeped green tea tasted soooo bad but I have grown to like it. I still drink coffee once in a while, it's my go-to drink when I'm super stressed out, but I make green tea my first choice to get my caffeine fix.

Sooo yeah. These are the things that have helped me feel energized in the morning! I'm very proud of myself to have adapted to a healthier lifestyle compared to what I had before. It's these little changes that I've made that has given me a more positive outlook in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment