Sunday, December 18, 2011

Words are not only words

Today is my official Day 1 of Christmas break and it has been very uneventful so far. I spent it by watching Our Family Wedding and Last Night. I didn't finish Our Family Wedding and I didn't like Last Night's storyline. I'm so annoyed at the roles of Eva Mendes and Jo's (Keira Knightley) ex boyfriend; Sam Worthington's obviously a lot more attractive than him!

I took a nap and had this really awful dream that I don't even want to remember. The rest of my evening is being spent by tweaking my blog design and googling "beautiful English words" and I must say these words really are beautiful. I was looking for a beautiful word that I could incorporate here in my blog, for a title or something like that. I ended up not using any, though.

Anyway, here are some of the words that I thought were lovely. Just thought I'd share it :-)
  • Denouement |ˌdānoōˈmä n |
noun
the final part of a play, movie, or narrative in which the strands of the plot are drawn together and matters are explained or resolved.
  • Dalliance |ˈdalēəns; ˈdalyəns|
noun
a casual romantic or sexual relationship.
  • Ingénue |ˈanjəˌnoō; ˈän zh-|
noun
an innocent or unsophisticated young woman.
  • Sesquipedalian |ˌseskwəpəˈdālyən|
adjective formal
(of a word) polysyllabic; long : sesquipedalian surnames.
  • Mellifluous |məˈlifloōəs|
adjective
(of a voice or words) sweet or musical; pleasant to hear : the voice was mellifluous and smooth.
  • Scintilla |sinˈtilə|
noun [in sing. ]
a tiny trace or spark of a specified quality or feeling : a scintilla of doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment